Blueberry Muffin Breakfast Cake* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
IngredientsVegetable oil for greasing the dish
Cake2 cups all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons baking powder 3/4 teaspoon salt 10 tablespoons ( 1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract 2 large eggs, at room temperature 3/4 cup whole milk, at room temperature 1 3/4 cups blueberries Topping 8 tablespoons ( 1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces, at room temperature 1/3 cup all-purpose flour 1/2 cup granulated sugar 1/2 cup (lightly packed) light brown sugar 2 teaspoons of cinnamon Pinch of salt
- Place a rack in the center of the oven at 350ºF. Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan with vegetable oi or butter.
- Make the cake. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together into a small bowl.
- Cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla in a medium-size mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Stop the mixer once or twice to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Add the sugar to the butter mixture one at a time and mix on medium speed after each addition until blended, 8 to 10 seconds. Scrape the bowl each time.
- Fold one-third of the dry ingredients Into the butter mixture by hand, just until they have absorbed the liquid but are not thoroughly blended. Fold in half the milk by hand with several strokes, then the rest of the dry ingredients, folding just until they are absorbed. Add the rest of the milk and fold it in just until the batter is smooth.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the top is just set but not golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the topping: place all the Ingredients in a food processor and pulse until blended, about 10 pulses. Or mix all until the dry ingredients in a small bowl and rub the butter into the mixture with you fingers.
- When the top of the cake is set, cover the surface with spoonful’s of topping and return the cake to the oven until the topping spreads and begins to get crunchy, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and serve it hot. It is good eaten plain or buttered like a muffin.