One day when I was making pies for the stores, I found myself with small amounts of leftover fillings from different batches of pies I had made. I needed one more large pie, but did not have enough of any one fruit so I threw all the leftover fillings into one pie and Voila!; one delicious kitchen sink pie. Substitutions can be made; just make sure the total cup quantity of the fruit is similar to the above recipe.
1 double-crust recipe Basic Pie Crust 1 or 2, rolled out
5-6 stalks rhubarb cut into 1/3” slices
4 large nectarines or peaches peeled and cut into ¾ inch chunks
1 pint strawberries cut into 1/3” slices (about 1 cup)
½ pint blueberries (about 1 cup)
½ cup sugar
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup raspberries or blackberries
1 large egg yolk mixed with 3 tablespoons of cream (light or heavy)
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1. Place 1 crust in the pie plate. Refrigerate both the top and bottom crusts.
2. Preheat the oven to 425°F and place a half sheet pan on the center rack of the oven.
3. Place all the ingredients for the filling, except the raspberries and/or blackberries in a large bowl and toss together.
4. Scoop the fruit filling into the chilled crust then dot the top with the raspberries. Toss very lightly with the peach mixture. It is important that the berries stay whole as much as possible.
5. Remove the top crust from the refrigerator and, using a small round cookie cutter or a shot glass, cut a small circle out of the center of the crust and then flip the dough over onto the fruit mixture. Seal and trim the edge.
6. Make a decorative edge; and using a pastry brush, brush the top with the egg glaze and then sprinkle with the sugar. Place aluminum foil around the decorative crust.
7. Bake the pie on the center rack of the oven for 20 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 400 and continue baking until the top of the pie is golden and the filling in the center is bubbling, about50 minutes. If the top crust is getting too dark, cover it with a piece of aluminum foil and continue to bake.
8. Remove the pie from the oven and cool it on a rack. Serve with vanilla ice cream Makes 8-12 servings